TESOL Italy’s 46th National Convention, provocatively entitled “Disruptive Innovations in ELT” echoing Clayton M. Christensen’s famous theory, wishes to provide a shared space for inquiry, reflection and discussion on the disruptive impact caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, which has turned our personal and professional lives upside down changing education dramatically, while also leading to positive innovations and transformations. In this sense, we have used the term ‘disruptive innovations’ as they have caused a paradigm shift in the ELT field.
How have we, as ELT teachers, educators and professionals, coped with change? How have we reacted to the pandemic disruption?
Our responses have actually been disruptive and extraordinary, turning unprecedented challenges into opportunities and reimagining English learning and teaching:
- adapting to virtual / hybrid environments, dealing with online challenges and digital overwhelm, using new interactive e-learning platforms;
- enhancing online collaboration and sharing experiences and resources;
- building relationships and communities of practice;
- adjusting teaching methods, strategies and content to the changed scenario;
- rethinking assessment systems and feedback practices;
- experimenting and adopting new ways of teaching and learning, and finding innovative, creative and inclusive solutions within and beyond the classroom to meet learners’ new needs;
- responding to ever-growing multilingual challenges and adopting translanguagism as a perspective and pedagogical approach in ELT;
- fostering sustainable development and social justice, and promoting students’ agency and empowerment;
- developing resilience, collaboration, empathy, digital literacy, soft skills, global competencies while enriching professional profiles.
In our two-day event, we will explore the pedagogical implications and applications of current disruptive innovations in ELT by focusing on the latest trends and approaches, and providing examples of best practices and experiences.
- Challenges and Opportunities within and beyond the Classroom
- Foregrounding Global Citizenship Education in ELT
- Investigating Teachers’ Professional Profiles and Beliefs
- Translanguagism in ELT: a pedagogical approach
STEPS IN SUBMITTING A PRESENTATION PROPOSAL
The deadline for submitting speaker proposals is June 30th, 2021.